It’s that time of year when love is in the air- Valentine’s Day! We have some great simple and affordable ideas that you can use to show those you love how much they mean to you. And this doesn’t just mean your partner or crush- you can also show yourself, your friends, family and even your pets that you appreciate them!
For your partner or crush:
- Leave a note in his or her briefcase or purse so they’ll see it when they get to work.
- Make your own Newlyweds-style game: write down questions like “Where did we have our first kiss?” and “What’s my favorite movie?” See if your answers match.
- Give a massage or back scratch (without expecting one back).
- Try something new in the bedroom.
- Have a scavenger hunt, even if it’s just around the house: leave clues and have a sweet surprise at the end.
- Go on a walk and talk about your favorite memories.
- Take a romantic bubble bath together.
- Have a picnic at their favorite outdoor place.
- Teach each other something. Does your partner know Photoshop? Do you know play the guitar? Spending quality time together by teaching each other something new will bring you closer together.
- Re-create your first date.
- Write down a list of the qualities you love most about them — things you don’t mention on a daily basis but that mean a lot to hear.
- Turn off your cell phone, TV and computers and spend the night playing board games or card games instead.
- A hand written card and personalised coupons are free and fun!
- Make a playlist of all of the songs that remind you of your significant other.
Never forget to love yourself! Self-love counts as anything that makes you happy and aids to your health and well-being.
- Take a long, hot, bubble bath by candle light.
- Get yourself some flowers or a single rose.
- Pamper yourself with a body treatment, or go for one at your local spa.
- Watch your favourite movie or listen to your favourite music.
- Say at least three positive things about yourself.
- Remind yourself of everything that you have to be grateful for.
- Spend time with people that you care about.
- Do something that makes your soul happy. You may want to do some yoga or meditation, or spend some special time praying.
For your friends and family:
- Buy a bag of chocolates or make some heart shaped cookies and give one to all of your special people.
- If you can afford it, get them a small gift to show your appreciation.
- Write them a letter or make a card. Even a small note will let them know you care!
- Send them a special text on the day.
- Volunteer together at an organisation that you support.
- Have a craft day. You may want to have a look on the internet for some ideas that everyone would enjoy doing.
- Go hiking at your favourite outdoor spot.
- Have a picnic with simple, healthy food.
- Have a game night! Good old fashioned board games and card games means the whole family can take part.
For your pets:
- Do something they enjoy. Play ball with your dog or take him for a walk; give your cat some catnip or play with them; let your hamster run in his ball. Each pet will enjoy different activities, but be such they are having fun!
- Spoil them with a special treat. Just be sure that whatever you give them is healthy, and this means staying away from candy! You can also search the internet for special recipes for your specific type of pet.
- Get them something new- a new toy, a new jersey or bowl- the list is endless.
- Take them to the parlour. Just be sure you use one that is reputable and take note of how they treat your pet. Your pet’s behaviour will also give you insight as to how they are treated.
- Arrange for a professional photo shoot. Although your phone is probably already full of cute pictures of your pets, professional pet portraits are something you can cherish forever.
Whatever you plans are for this Valentine’s Day, be sure to do it with love.